If you currently drink Bulletproof Coffee, you will love this one. The “Feel Good” Keto Coffee is inspired by the Bulletproof Coffee – a staple in nourishing morning breakfast coffees for keto-heads worldwide, and what first introduced many, including myself, to the low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet.
“Raw cacao powder has more than 300 phytochemicals, nearly 4 times the antioxidant power of regular dark chocolate.”
It features cacao powder, coconut milk, ground coffee and grass-fed butter. It’s never been made in anything other than a steel Moka Pot (pictured) but is also great with any drip coffee or Americano. Simply add some grass-fed butter, a bit of Arroy-D coconut milk and a couple teaspoons of organic cacao powder and you will be off to the races or whatever is ahead feeling good.
The “Feel Good” Morning Keto Coffee is just my personal version of the “Bulletproof Coffee”
Raw cacao powder also contains protein, calcium, carotene, thiamin, riboflavin, magnesium, and sulfur. Butter from grass-fed cows is high in Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin K2. It blends wonderfully with coffee as if it were cream, yet it’s a much healthier choice. All research shows how good healthy fats are for us. Grass-fed butter is one of the best.
If you’re health conscious then you know how we need more healthy fats in our diets. I try to do as many plant-based fats as I can, but grass-fed butter is one of the best sources as well.
This coffee is best with a high-fat diet. It can even replace your breakfast. I like to have hot water and lime before or after to balance my pH levels. Or I’ll have it alongside something fiber-rich, like a green smoothie.
High-fat butter coffees alongside a high-carb breakfast is a very bad idea.
While there are those with strong opinions against drinking coffees like these, some of these opponents would also probably be advocating a standard American diet of some sort.
This coffee is meant to be incorporated into a lower carb, higher fat diet. If you’re on a standard American diet, it’s best to throw a reminder out there that this should be a meal replacement, and it should never be drunk alongside a regular bowl of oatmeal, for example.
If you’re on a keto diet, this coffee is a great option.
However, if you’re still eating huge bowls of oatmeal, stacks of pancakes, or any carb-heavy breakfast, I’d keep the coffee black.
This coffee is for low carb dieters who can afford to shift calories over to fat versus protein and carbohydrates.
If you’re on a standard American diet, it’s best to throw a reminder out there that this should be a meal replacement, and it should never be drunk alongside a regular bowl of oatmeal. It can be had with a low carb breakfast. You can do whatever you want, I’m just giving you my opinion.
I usually will have a bulletproof (or a butter coffee) alone, or with my typical eggs and veggies breakfast that usually looks something like this:
How can I put this… Keto breakfasts are simply BETTER. • I’m seeing these keto pancakes floating around with a low net carb almond flour, so I still need to see what that is all about because I love pancakes, BUT this here is definitely a healthy, fatty and like always, enough to power me through the whole day. • 2 Tbl fresh ground flax seeds, a lot of bacon, broccoli & avocado ?, 2 organic chicken eggs, 2 duck eggs plus some leftover mushrooms ?- a very similar breakfast to what I usually make, and for a good reason???????. #ketobreakfast #powerfood • • • ??? #NutritionAdventures #ketolife #ketofam #ketosislifestyle
Just as with beef, butter from grass-fed cows is far more nutritious vs grain fed cows.
This is because the grass is rich in vitamin K1 and the cows convert that into a bioactive K2.
Grain fed cows’ digestive bacteria do not convert as much bioactive K2.
Grass-fed butter done right can provide a ton of health advantages. Here are some of them:
- Weight loss: Contains Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which is known to promote weight loss by helping burn visceral fat, especially around your belly, among other benefits like supporting muscle growth and protecting against cancer.
- Increased Energy and cognitive function: Grass-fed butter provides sustained energy, while the coffee itself will provide an initial power boost that lasts for hours as well. When you combine these two with the added MCTs from coconut milk PLUS the mood-boosting antioxidants from the cacao, you have yourself a powerful way to start off your mornings. Even more so, motivation to get up, get going and tackle your day ahead with purpose.
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA): Grass-fed butter is packed with the best form of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). I say the best, because of this study, which tested CLA in milk from cows fed different diets. Grass-fed cows were the richest source:“Cows grazing pasture and receiving no supplemental feed had 500% more conjugated linoleic acid in milk fat than cows fed typical dairy diets.”While CLA is often used to promote accelerated fat loss, it’s also been shown to help those suffering from various chronic illnesses, from chronic inflammation to cardiovascular disease and more.
- Omega-3: There are a few things us humans must get from our diets, Omega 3 is one of them. Whenever you can find a plant or non-fish based source of it, that’s great news (if you don’t eat much fish). Grass-fed butter is one of these alternative sources. Omega-3 is important for many bodily functions and can help treat and prevent various medical conditions including brain conditions like Alzheimer’s, diabetes, anxiety, depression, inflammation, weight-loss, skin health, infertility and high cholesterol. You can see why it’s important to incorporate more omega-3s into your life while lowering your Omega-6’s too. Those who munch on a lot of processed foods need to watch for high Omega-6 and bad 3 to 6 ratios.
- Healthy Saturated Fat: Morning tablespoons of butter means a large intake of saturated fat and cholesterol. But this is good for you. Our indoctrination of low-fat diets in the states is part of the reason we’re scared of healthy fats. From a Dr. Jockers blog post on butter benefits, he shows 2 research studies that show how saturated fat is great for our health.“Dietary saturated fat and cholesterol have been shown to improve hormone regulation and cell membrane function. They also have been shown to: Raise HDL Levels – the good protective lipoprotein (1)Change LDL Particles – From the dangerous small dense particles to the benign, large buoyant particles (2)”
- Inflammation: Grass-fed butter is rich in butyrate, known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin K2: Vitamin K2 has many health benefits ranging from bone and heart health to cancer. Grass-fed butter seems to be one of the best ways to get this special K2 vitamin.
- Stress: Satiety and time saving are two major stress relievers. When you don’t have to waste your day’s allotment of mental energy figuring out what to eat or stressing about how long breakfast is taking you, you feel better. The nutrients inside the morning feel good keto coffee are great. But the time savings in the morning and in focusing on your hunger might be even better.
The key when drinking high-fat coffees is to make sure you’re getting your micronutrients either alongside it or later in the day.
These coffees, once you’re fat-adapted, have the power to carry you through to lunch.
But it’s best if your lunch includes nutrient dense veggies if you’re not getting any in the morning in order to get some gut healthy fibers in.
This day’s feel-good keto coffee
The magic is in its benefits and how you feel when you’re using ketones as fuel for mental and physical energy.
While my photography skills need some help, at least I have my mornings mastered.
Our Top 3 Low Carb Thai Recipes Cookbook
Get the cookbook and more interesting stuff to your inbox!
Something went wrong.